Are Nuts Keeping Me From Losing Weight?
The answer as to whether nuts are good or bad for weight loss isn’t so simple. Nuts may be helping, or hindering your weight loss efforts.
How They Help You Lose Weight:
- Contain fiber which can help you feel more satisfied
- Contain protein which helps support muscle mass and helps you feel fuller, longer
- Contain healthy fats that can support heart health, brain health and help combat inflammation
- Contain vitamins and minerals like vitamin E, zinc, potassium, magnesium, and much more!
- Much healthier alternative than candy, chips or crackers
- Although commonly salted, they usually have a lower salt content than other salty tasting snacks (salt can increase water weight fluctuations)
How They Can Hinder Weight Loss Efforts:
- Calorie content – although they are the right kinds of fats, nuts are high in fat and therefore have a higher calorie content than many people assume. Most nuts have at least 170 calories per ounce
- Portion size – a suggested serving size of nuts is 1 ounce, or about 1/4 cup but many people eat much more than that
- Mindless eating – if you are mindlessly snacking while watching TV or using a computer, you are likely overeating. Switching to nuts is a healthy option, but doesn’t solve the problem of mindless eating and can still hinder weight loss efforts
So if you’re trying to lose weight, here are our recommendations for nut intake:
- Include a variety of nuts!
- Limit to one serving daily
- Measure out 1/4 of a cup of nuts or use pre-portioned packages
- Don’t eat right out of the container of nuts
- Pay attention when you are eating and avoid eating while watching TV or using other electronic devices
Do you have more questions about which foods to include when trying to lose weight? Consider visiting Olivera Weight Loss for a Nutrition Consultation. We offer a variety of services to help support you in your weight loss efforts. For more information, please visit our services page. To schedule an appointment, please send us a message or call us at 773-327-6624 today!